Cranbrook

Topics to this forum should be confined to discussion relating to the depots, sub-depots and outstations
David Rumens
Forum Member

Re: Cranbrook

Post by David Rumens »

Hello Des,

Sorry, I don't have any contact info as I moved from Cranbrook to Hannington and then to Weyhill so lost contact with many of the old hands. I do know
Laurie Jarman became an SWT at Cranbrook, Pappy Malone retired in 1976 and Peter May became the RWE of Cheveley Depot. I left DTELS in 1993 and moved to one of the cell phone companies.

Good to hear from you and Happy New Year.
Dave
Desmond Foulger
Forum Member

Post by Desmond Foulger »

David,

I do remember you. I was at Cranbrook from 67/68 to October 1974 as a WT. I left for New Zealand where I am still 49 years later.I have been in contact with old colleagues lately and was wondering if you have an E-Mail address for Laurie Jarman or at least if you could contact him to see if he's willing to communicate. I spoke to him a number of years ago by telephone and in typically Laurie fashion he told me he was "waiting to die". Obviously he's had a long wait lol.

Also if you have news of Paddy Malone, "Matey" Cates, Peter May and any news of friends from that period.

Anyway Happy New Year from New Zealand
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

One thing I forgot about the depot working back in 1967 was that it was manned 7 days a week. During the weekends and holidays it was manned by two tecs. They were expected to handle all the region main scheme and the newly introduced Pocket Phone systems faults. If there were no faults then they were expected to clear the outstanding faulty equipment on the shelves e.g. mobiles, any fixed station kit.

There was one other duty that could be a real pain. That was keeping the coke central heating boiler going, which would always go out when the wind was in the wrong quarter. I spent a happy Christmas day, 1967, cleaning out the thing and trying to re-light it.

Call out came in around 1969/70 and then the 7 day manning stopped.

Dave
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Post by Steven Cole »

Thanks for your recollection Dave it paints a good picture of depot/outstation manning and some of the duties at that period of time.

You are correct there was no EO, for some reason I had thought Miss Robson who was at Romsley Depot when I started in 1970 was at that grade but am now reminded she was a Supervisory Stores Officer IV as per this article in Intercom 7 Page 4. Interestingly she was a wireless operator in her earlier years with the Home Office.
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Some more. The SOG was Colin Piper and the Store's AA was Janet Russell. Colin had owned a shop in Cranbrook town. A post office/grocery shop, he bought from one of my distant relations in the 1950's!

Thanks,
Dave
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Yes sorry Steve, The non technical staff were - 2 AA. 1 AO. 1 SOG C or D. One of the AA's was in the stores. 1 Cleaner/Handyman. 1 Cook. 1 Motor Mechanic. I can't remember any EO, maybe the SOGC?

The outstations had only just started and were manned by Technicians only. No SWT's or WM's at that stage. They were overseen by the Depot SWT's. The outstation Tec's changed and repaired the vehicle radio's and at that stage did not work on the radio schemes. That work was carried by a Depot team consisting of 1 SWT and 1 WT. Lots of travelling and long hours.

All the vehicle installation work was still carried out at Cranbrook by WT's and WM's.

I can remember the hardware shop Cranbrook town.

It's a job to remember after some 50 years!

Dave
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Post by Steven Cole »

Thanks for your input Dave.

For Tim's information the clerical positions at Depots were usually held by females when I joined in 1970 and were Administrative Assistant (AA) or Administrative Officer (AO) plus Executive Officer (EO). It was rare to find one in a technical capacity other than at Maintenance Units, such as assemblers or mechanics.
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

I was at Cranbrook from March 1967 and don't remember Dorothy. The RWE at that time was John Harris. Approx depot staff at that time - 1 RWE, 1 CWT, 4 SWT, 10 WT, 4 WM.

Thanks,
Dave
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Does Anyone Recall Dorothy Hart ex-Cranbrook

Post by Steven Cole »

Tim Vickers emailed me yesterday enquiring if anyone can remember his grandmother, Dorothy Hart, who apparently worked at Cranbrook circa 1960-1967. She was married to John Hart and after leaving the Directorate went on to run a hardware store in Cranbrook. Tim would like to hear from anyone who can remember her, what role she served and some idea of the numbers of staff based there during her time. It is thought the RWE during that period was Mr. Duck.

Cheers
Steven R. Cole ...
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Post by Steven Cole »

Greetings

Now that we have settled in Exmouth I want to get active again on the bands after a break of some 7 years. I recently acquired an FT101Mk3 but need to purchase a decent vertical when I've done some homework on which one to go for.

73's and all the best for 2012
Steven....
Allan
Forum Member

Post by Allan »

Just heard Dave Wright and Jeff Alchin reminiscing on 40 metres..both great sigs on Isle of Skye
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to everyone
Regards Allan Crabb
Allan
Forum Member

Post by Allan »

Hi Steven...oh yes...been coming to north west scotland for last 30 years and had cottage at Glencoe;so knew what to expect..:-)...certainly those last 3 years have flown by...good wishes for your own proposed move to south west...Devon is very nice;am sure you will enjoy it
Regards Allan
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Post by Steven Cole »

Hello Allan

Your posting reminded me that almost 3 years has passed since we last spoke following my five months stint with Arqiva.

Isle of Skye in retirement is a leap of faith, makes my planned move from Hampshire to Devon in the coming months to retire seem rather tame! That said, lovely part of the world. Wife and I visited Mull and Skye in 2006 and spent three weeks last year touring from Oban to the North Coast. Lovely area for those like me interested in photography.

Regards
Steven....
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Hello Allan,

Will done, sound like all worked out ok after privatisation for you. Ok about your QTH, sound good for amateur radio. Yes I ended up as a principal with Vodafone. Then took early retirement and went to work for another outfit. I work part time now. Hmm-- I know all about business cases, KPI's, etc. As you say we kept the customer happy back then, that was the main thing I guess.

Still active as an amateur (160 to 70cm) this end. Through mostly QRP data modes (WSPR and PSK) due to a poor site. Some CW last year.

Regards
Dave
Dave Rumens
Allan
Forum Member

catch up

Post by Allan »

Hi Dave....retired 2 years ago and live on Isle of Skye....went with cabletel/NTL/Arqiva following privatisation...ended up regional manager south west...Gloucs/Avon/Somerset/Wilts/Devon/Cornwall...as with everything;good and not so good times;but overall was good for me..think you went to vodafone?..are you still active amateur?..I am top band to 2m....
Regards Allan